Children between ages 7 to 10 is around the best age to allow an orthodontist to evaluate their teeth to see whether early treatment is required.
If some form of conditions is found, parents can begin their children on preventative treatments as it presents the opportunity for an orthodontist to have control over the development the children's permanent teeth. The benefit that comes in by addressing the shape of the jaw and the health of their teeth.
At the age of around 7 years, the mouth has grown and has enough sound structure to know how it's going to increase because it's when adult teeth will begin to emerge. It allows the orthodontist to predict their teeth's development.
It can be challenging to predict whether they require evaluation but if you see any characteristics or behavior below, then please talk to our team
- Thumb Sucking
- Facial Imbalance
- Chewing difficulties
- Teeth grinding and clenching
- Speech Impediment
- Breathing through the mouth
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Protruding front teeth
With early orthodontic treatment, the benefits to your children teeth health includes:
- Guiding the growth of the jaw to promote facial symmetry
- Create space for crowded teeth
- Reduce bad oral habits
- Prevent jaws/teeth development flaws leading to bad bites or TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder)
- Reduce future treatment time when braces are required (Saves time and money)
- Improves patient self-esteem
- Proper chewing and biting
Early treatment is a preventive measure which sets the foundation for the development of healthy teeth and gums. Early intervention are often easier to correct (while the child's jaw bone is soft) than later in their life. Your children will thank you in the future (hopefully) with their beautiful and charming smiles. Book an appointment for your child's orthodontic evaluation at Perfect Smiles Orthodontics.